Whether you grew up eating Wisconsin cheese curds or you just received your cheese curd education from my What is a Cheese Curd? blog post, you may still need some ideas for what to do with a cheese curd. Curds are great straight from the bag, but why stop there?
1. Zap 'Em: Here's a trick my coworkers and I love to share- put some curds on a plate and zap them in the microwave for 5 to 10 seconds. This makes your curds soft, gooey, and extra squeaky!
2. Deep Fry 'Em: You can't talk about cheese curds without mentioning deep fried cheese curds! Outside of Wisconsin, you can usually find these as a novelty item at fairs and festivals where they fry everything. In Wisconsin, fried cheese curds are a staple. We eat them as an appetizer, bar snack, and some fast food restaurants even let you replace your fries with fried cheese curds! Check out Edible Antic's favorite fried cheese curd recipe here.
3. Put 'Em in Poutine: As if cheese curds weren't already decadant enough, try this Canadian dish. Smother french fries in gravy, top with cheese curds, chow down! If you would like a more detailed recipe, click here. Cooking Light Magazine even featured a recipe for a lighter version of Poutine in a recent issue, although I don't think anything related to cheese curds is "light".
4. Flavor 'Em: This is an easy one since it's already been done for you. Cheese curds come in more flavors than just plain. Try them in Cajun, Garlic Dill, or (get this!) Pizza! Yum! If your local grocery store doesn't carry cheese curds in fun flavors, order some online here.
5. Gift 'Em: Whether you are in Wisconsin or not, you can send curds to your friends in the contiental United States. Don't forget to include some batter for frying! Your friends will love this delicious taste of Wisconsin no matter what state they live in.