A recent article in the Wisconsin State Journal says that Wisconsin came in at number nine on a list that ranks states based on their access to local food. This had me curious about what kind of local foods I have on hand, so I opened up my fridge to see if I could find five Wisconsin-made items, and here are the first five I found. I bet there's more in there, especially if I count the beers!
1. Quince and Apple Fig and Black Tea Preserves - You might not have this in your fridge, but you should! I use it in a fancy pizza recipe, but it also makes a perfect pairing for Wisconsin cheese and crackers.
2. Cedar Grove Cheddar - I have Wisconsin cheese in my fridge! Shocker! This particular block of cheese comes from Cedar Grove. I like their cheese because they never use growth hormones on the cows that produce the milk, plus it tastes awesome of course!
3. Wisconsin Mustard - My family loves mustard, and we frequent the Mustard Museum in Middleton, Wisconsin where we can buy mustard from all over the USA and even the world, but our go-to mustard- Silver Springs Beer n' Brat Mustard- is made right here in Wisconsin!
4. Howling Wolf BBQ Sauce - Howling Wolf BBQ Sauce comes in three flavors and I keep my favorite, Cranberry Orange, on hand at all times. The sauce adds a sweet and tangy flavor to chicken, ribs, pulled pork, and anything else my stomach desires.
5. Wisconsin Maple Syrup - Growing up I always topped my pancakes with fake syrup, but now I'm addicted to the real deal! I have to eat tons of waffles and pancakes to make up for the wasted years. I also like to use maple syrup in recipes- it adds a richness and depth of flavor that regular old sugar just can't beat.
Even if you don't live in Wisconsin, you can still enjoy all of these Wisconsin foods and many more by shopping at Wisconsinmade.com!
What Wisconsin foods are in your fridge right now?