Welcome to Wisconsin, where we love cheese so much we try to put it in or on almost everything. I'm planning my Thanksgiving meal and it made me realize that there isn't much cheese involved with Thanksgiving. The only cheesy side dish that regularly appears on the Thanksgiving table is macaroni and cheese, and even that isn't a requirement for the meal (although in my opinion it should be). What can we do to get more Wisconsin cheese at the table? Here are a few ideas, since I know I'm not the only Wisconsinite who wants to give thanks for cheese!
1. Cheese Pairings! Start the meal off right with a selection of your favorite Wisconsin cheeses and Thanksgiving inspired pairings. Try some aged cheddar topped with a dollop of cranberry sauce on a Potter's Cracker or use Wisconsin Cheese Cupid to find out which cheese will match your Thanksgiving wine.
2. Cheesy Mashed Potatoes! Take your standard mashed potato recipe and mix in a few handfuls of grated cheddar cheese at the end, or put your mashed potatoes in a casserole dish and sprinkle the top with cheese and bake until the whole thing is gooey and delicious!
3. Macaroni and Cheese! Don't even think about using a boxed mac and cheese for a special occasion like Thanksgiving! Try a homemade recipe with your favorite Wisconsin cheeses. This is my favorite recipe.
4. Cheesecake! If I had to choose between pumpkin pie and pumpkin cheesecake, I'd take the cheesecake any day. If you're not feeling up to the homemade cheesecake challenge, visit Wisconsinmade.com to get a cheesecake delivered right to your door. Now through November 18th this pumpkin cheesecake is $7 off!
5. Apple Pie with a Cheddar Crust! Apple pie is all American, but apple pie with a cheddar cheese crust is all Wisconsin. Get the recipe here. Serve this pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a slice of cheddar cheese on the side.
What's your favorite way to use Wisconsin cheese during Thanksgiving?