Every year cheesemakers from far and wide travel to Madison, Wisconsin to enter the World Championship Cheese Contest to rate the best cheeses in 90 categories and the best overall cheese. A cheese from Switzerland called Original Schweizer Rohmilch Emmentaler won the grand prize in the 2014 contest, but overall Wisconsin cheeses dominate the competition, winning 59 out of the 90 categories. Wisconsin cheeses received 33 gold medals, with Vermont and New York as distant runners up with 5 medals each.
Want to try some of the award winning cheeses? You're in luck, because the following winning cheeses ship nationwide from Wisconsinmade.com.
- Havarti by Decatur Dairy, Third Award in the Havarti Category
- Dill Havarti by Decatur Dairy, Second Award in the Flavored Havarti Category
- Roth Buttermilk Blue by Emmi Roth USA, Best In Class in the Blue Veined Category
- 5. White Best by Red Barn Family Farms, Best in Class Bandaged Cheddar Sharp to Aged Category
- 6. Merlot BellaVitano by Sartori Company, Best in Class in the Open Class Shredded Cheese
Which one of these cheeses would you most like to try?